Florence Hotel Golf · Fortezza da BassoThe Fortezza da Basso was built during the reign of Duke Alessandro of the Medici family, and dates back to 1534. It was designed by the Florentine architect Antonio San Gallo and remains the largest historical monument in Florence.
The facade of the outer walls of the fortress, seemingly inspired by the coat of arms of the Medici family, was done in round diamond-pointed projecting stone ashlars.
The stately octagonal guard house, covered with a dome and fortified terrace, dominates the interior of the broad structure.
The interiors contain numerous narrow passages, parapet walks and secret passages.
Almost 300 years later, in the 1800's the Fortezza was enlarged with the construction of the stable and arms warehouse and years later still, in 1977, the Central and Cavaniglia Pavilions, designed by architect Pierluigi Spadolini were added.
The very large complex is composed of the Loreneze Palazzina and Theater, Halls of Nations, Ronda, and Polveriera, the Monumental Quarters, and the Central and Cavaniglia Pavilions.
Located directly outside the city limits, this splendid example of Renaissance architecture is now the main exhibition center in Florence and hosts many of the most important, national and international. trade shows and fairs like the famous Pitti fashion shows, the International Exchange of Congress Tourism, and the Florence Gift Mart to Eurocamper, just to name a few.