While a guest at Hotel Golf, a sure sight to see while visiting Florence is the Pitti Palace. Its origin dates back to the second half of the 15th century, when Filippo Brunelleschi was summoned by the banker Luca Bonaccorso Pitti to design the Palace but the artist's plan did not initiate until after his death some 10 years later. It is situated in the first great square that the Florentines call "Diladdarno" or "beyond the Arno" at the foot of Boboli.
The Palace has seen a history of accomplishments throughout four centuries.
The present version of Palazzo Pitti is larger than its original smaller body dimensions, which consisted of two floors, covered with rustic stone ashlars. The Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders all helped to enrich this architectural Renaissance style of austere and balance.
In 1550, the Palazzo was purchased by Cosimo of the Medici family with intentions of making it his new residence, and in 1558 he commissioned Bartholomew Ammannati to do work on refining aspects which also included the addition of large windows to the facade and the creation of the courtyard.
The creation and construction of the Great Garden Boboli, named for by the homonymous hill, was commissioned out to Niccol Tribolo. The addition of a vast corridor for the family, to be able to walk from the Palazzo to the Piazza Signoria protected from the dangers of an attack, was built in 1565 by Vasari.
In 1618, under the direction of Giulio da Paragi, work continued. The Palazzo was extended with an addition of two other buildings with two floors each. The Palazzo's present length is due to the adjustments done by Alfonso da Parigi in 1640.
The halls of entertainment in the summertime residence on the ground floor were decorated during the period of Grand Duke Ferdinando II. Also for the event of his wedding to Vittoria della Rovere, which was to take place in his winter residence, the first floor was also decorated.
Great artists such as Giovanni da Sangiovanni and Pietro da Cortona were summoned to render the palace breathtakingly royal with their extraordinary works.
At the end of the 18th century, the final addition of the Palazzina della Meridiana, requested by Pietro Leopoldi, was made to the building, done neo-classical style by Gaspare Maria Paoletti and Pasquale Poccianti.
Through time, Palazzo Pitti has assumed different functions. Today the seat of important museums with expositions of Silver, Chinaware, Costumes, Carriages, a Modern Art Gallery and the Garden of Boboli, it is possible to visit the splendour of a long ago epoch which has managed to stay alive through history for us to admire today.